From the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC, 1532):
The special grace of the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick has as its effects:
– the uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church;
– the strengthening, peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age;
– the forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance;
– the restoration of health, if it is conducive to the salvation of his soul;
– the preparation for passing over to eternal life.
How do I arrange for Anointing of the Sick at the Cathedral of St Joseph?
Please call one of the priests at the parish office (573) 635-7991 if you or someone else would like to receive Anointing of the Sick. While this sacrament is intended for those who suffer from a serious bodily ailment due to injury, illness, or old age, it is not necessary that someone be at the point of death to receive Anointing.